The Wider Curriculum
Subjects such as history, geography, art, design and technology, music and some parts of other subjects are mostly taught through topics across key stages 1 and 2.
Children’s understanding and enjoyment of art is developed through the opportunity to express their own ideas and feelings and by exploring the work of other artists.
We use a wide range of media and techniques to encourage our children to develop this vital area of the curriculum.
Design and Technology
Our aim in teaching design and technology is that all children will develop the knowledge, skills and understanding necessary to design, make and evaluate products fit for a purpose.
Children are given opportunities to work with a wide range of materials and components to develop an understanding of control systems, energy and structures.
Cooking forms part of DT.
Children are encouraged to appreciate a wide variety of sounds and music. They make music with a range of musical instruments.
Children are also taught many songs and hymns and experience the pleasure of singing together. Every class puts on a performance each year where they have opportunities to sing solo and together.
We have whole class teaching of the guitars for Years 5 and 6..
We feel that it is of vital importance that our children have knowledge, and some understanding of foreign languages. Children have the opportunity to study French as a regular weekly language lesson.
Personal, Health and Social Education
In all aspects of school life we aim to promote the personal and social development of children. Specific times are also set aside for class and group activities and games where children can develop an understanding of how to look after themselves and learn basic life and interpersonal skills. We have a scheme of work, Social and Emotional Aspects of Learning (SEAL) which the teachers access to develop these life strategies.
Our annual overview can be found here.
Sex and Relationship Education
We feel that it is important that children grow up to be confident about themselves and about changes they may experience not only in their bodies, but also in their feelings and relationships.
The class teacher supported by video material and visits from a school nurse sympathetically addresses this in Year 6.
Sex and Relationship Education (SRE) is learning about sex, sexuality, emotions, relationships, keeping safe and ourselves. Kent LA have encouraged the relationship part should come first, encompassing relationships in all settings including, home, community and school. SRE at Lynsted and Norton Primary School is taught within the framework of guidelines outlined by the DfES and the objective is to help and support our children through their physical, emotional and moral development. Our programme covers the statutory elements of the Science National Curriculum.
The school undertakes the responsibility of teaching SRE in a caring manner, appropriate to the age and ability of the children and being sensitive to the needs of individual children and their families.
We aim to help our children learn to respect themselves and others, build healthy relationships and prepare them with confidence for the passage through puberty into adolescence.
Aims of SRE
- To develop accurate, age appropriate vocabulary which children can use to communicate SRE matters.
- To inform children about personal hygiene and related health issues, to enable them to respect and care for their bodies.
- To explore the nature of family life and loving relationships.
- To emphasise the value of sex within a stable, loving relationship where care and respect are paramount.
- To help recognise appropriate and inappropriate sexual behaviours enabling them to protect themselves and keep safe.
- To know how a baby is conceived and how a baby is born.
- To inform of the changes that male and female bodies undertake during puberty.
- To build knowledge and skills to understand differences by countering myths and misinformation through examining opinions.
- Understand differences by respecting others relationships and removing prejudice.